Simple local object detection server for NVR

Got Hailo 8 (not L) for object detection for NVR software such as Blue Iris and Frigate. As there was no ready-to-use solution, I created a primitive server, compatible with API request/response with CodeprojectAI which is widely used in that niche. So both Blue Iris and Frigate can connect to it using their existing interfaces. So if anyone comes with the same problem, there is at least a workaround created. Per my understanding, it should work with Hailo 8L as well, but I do not have it to test. The code is mostly the object detection example on Hailo GitHub wrapped into aiohttp and works only with precompiled models.
Links are not allowed here, so there’s GitHub in my profile, repo is hailo-mini-od-server.
Anyway, hope it will help the community somehow.

2 Likes

Hey @skis,

Welcome to the Hailo Community!

Great work on creating a server compatible with Blue Iris and Frigate using the Hailo-8! It’s awesome to see such solutions being shared with the community.

Frigate support for the Hailo-8L is indeed coming soon. We’re just waiting for the necessary update to be available on Raspberry Pi, and we’ll release it alongside the Hailo-8L. While your workaround should work with the Hailo-8L as well, we’ll ensure official support to make integration even easier.

Additionally, we’d love to feature your project in the Community Projects section! Feel free to share the link to your GitHub repo there, so others can benefit from your work.

Thanks for your contribution, and I’m sure it will be a great help to others in the community!

Thank you, @omria !
But seems I still do not have permission to share links. Nevermind, I believe it is searchable anyway.
I am still testing the current solution, so will update here if something significant happens.
And I will keep an eye on the Hailo-8L support progress for Frigate as well.

Update: Link to the repo

Update: the server was tested on Raspberry Pi5 with Hailo-8L. Added some instructions in the readme.